by Angus Johnson
A Sudoku puzzle maker and solver
Simple Sudoku makes high quality puzzles that are symmetrical, have a single solution, and do not require trial & error to solve. The user can also choose between five levels of complexity - from Easy to Extreme. Each puzzle is generated randomly so there is an almost limitless selection.
for Win9x, Win2000 & WinXP
Not only does Simple Sudoku make challenging puzzles, it also provides tools to help solve them - removing the drudgery but not the fun. Keeping track of possible values for blank cells (candidates), providing filters and color markers are just some of the tools available to make solving even those really tricky puzzles possible.
Also, if you ever get really stuck, Simple Sudoku can get you started again with a discreet hint (without giving everything away).
Version & Copyright Info:
- Version 4.2n
- Last Updated 9 April 2007
- Copyright © 2005,2007 - Angus Johnson
- It's free, but for private use only.
- Creates challenging puzzles with 5 grades - from easy to extreme
- 'Candidates' automatically update when new values are entered
- Multi-cell selection to aid excluding candidates
- Filtering of candidates (almost essential to visualize advanced methods)
- Multi-level undo and redo (ie all the way back to the start)
- Save and load games (even partially completed ones)
- Paste games from the clipboard (useful if you frequent the sudoku.com forum)
- Extensive hints from logical methods (no guessing)
- Prints blank grids, partially and fully completed puzzles
- Puzzle can be resized according to preference.
- Multi-language support.
Puzzle Rules and Solving Hints:
Changes since version 4.2e:
- Added a menu option to auto-solve all 'Naked Singles'
- Very minor adjustment to hint/solving order
- Added 16 very challenging precompiled puzzles
Need More Help:
I get more email than I can sensibly manage so if you want extra help with Sudoku please ask for it in the Sudoku Programmers Forum
. While I may not answer your questions, other Sudoku enthusiasts are likely to help. Also, please understand that, while I'm a moderator, I'm not the owner of the Programmers Forum and people ask questions there about Sudoku made from a number of Sudoku programmes. Finally, requests for improvements will probably be ignored since I'm unlikely to make further changes to Simple Sudoku.
Sudoku - The Board Game:
Looking for a great present to give to your friends or family members?
I can highly recommend Gold Spike Deluxe Sudoku from Elverson PuzzleTM. I've just received a few boxes from Jim TerBush and I'm delighted with them - they're absolutely top notch! Thanks Jim!
Other Recommended Sudoku Sites:
Other Recommended Freeware Puzzles: