16 September 2011 (Version 3.6):
19 November 2009 (Version 3.5):
24 March 2002 (Version 3.4.0):
- 64bit executabe support added.
- PNG image support added.
14 January 2002 (Version 3.3.4):
- 32bit Resource Files (*.res) can now also
be viewed and edited.
- Added support for the following Dialog
extended style flags: WS_EX_LAYERED,
WS_EX_NOINHERITLAYOUT, WS_EX_LAYOUTRTL and
- All resource language ids (except those for
cursors and icons) can now be easily changed.
- Bug Fix: LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT and
LBS_MULTICOLUMN listbox style flags in dialogs
previously could not be combined.
6 January 2002 (Version 3.3.3):
- Bug fix: Occasional error when trying to
compile large plain text resources.
- Bug fix: Occasional error (introduced in
the previous update) when replacing icons.
23 December 2001 (Version 3.3.2):
- Searching has been speeded up dramatically.
- Numerous other minor improvements.
7 December 2001 (Version 3.3.1):
- Bug fix: Export tables were being corrupted
when modifying Dlls which were originally compiled
- Bug fix: Minor resource leak plugged.
- Bug fix: Progressbar styles PBS_SMOOTH
and PBS_VERTICAL in resource Dialogs
were not being decompiled.
2 November 2001 (Version 3.2.10):
- Resources can now be renamed either via
the popup menu of the treeview control or
via the main menu (once the specific resource
has been selected in the treeview control).
- Numerous other minor improvements and
7 August 2001 (Version 3.2.9):
- Bug fix: Resource HackerTM caused an
"access violation" occasionally when trying
to open 16bit executables (which aren't
- Bug fix: Occasional errors occured when
decompiling messagetables and accelerators.
- Bug fix: Closing Resource HackerTM was
delayed due to Windows caching *.ini
16 June 2001 (Version 3.2.8):
- Bug fix: Resource HackerTM will now display
and edit resources stored in sections other
than the '.rsrc' section.
- Bug fix: Another commandline bug fixed.
- Several minor functional improvements.
8 April 2001 (Version 3.2.7):
- When editing dialog controls using the
resource script Editor, the control corresponding
to the current insertion point (if any) will be
highlighted automatically in the dialog preview.
- When resources cannot be viewed due to
non-standard resource layouts (eg when an “EXE
compressor” has been used to shrink the file),
a message to this effect will now be displayed.
- Individual resource item's size will now be
displayed in the statusbar.
- Bug fix: Commandline support was partially
broken in a previous update.
- Bug fix: Should now run on Win95 machines which
still have the original ComCtl32.dll.
- Bug fix: Should now run on Win95 and Win98
machines which do not have ImageHlp.dll installed.
(ImageHlp.dll is included on the Win98 install CD
and is installed automatically with Internet
Explorer 3 or greater.)
10 March 2001 (Version 3.2.6):
- DS_SETFONT is no longer decompiled into the
STYLE statement of Dialog resources to avoid
problems when recompiling scripts using
Microsoft's resource compiler.
- Extended Dialog FONT definitions (font
weight, italics etc) are no longer displayed
in decompiled scripts unless they have been
changed to non-default values. This avoids
problems when trying to recompile these
scripts with both MS's and Borland's resource
compilers which still do not support full font
definitions for Dialogs.
- Bug fix: Occasional error when saving
non-standard resource types to *.res files.
3 March 2001 (Version 3.2.5):
- Resources can now be added to executables
which previously did not contain resources.
- Bug fix (introduced in the last update):
Unicode to multibyte character conversion
was causing problems with some non-English
20 February 2001 (Version 3.2.4):
- Enhanced the Dialog Editor's functionality
when adding new controls.
- The line number of Editor's insertion point
is now displayed on the left of the statusbar.
- The Menu Preview is now able to display
popup menus which don't have a caption.
- Bug fix (introduced in the previous update):
Dialogs displaying bitmaps would no longer
always display the correct size of the bitmap.
- Other minor improvements.
28 January 2001 (Version 3.2.3):
- A Dialog Editor has been added which can be activated by right clicking on a Dialog Preview.
- Plain text resources can now be modified and recompiled using the internal editor.
- Bug-fix: Dialog scripts were not being displayed if either the dialog width or
dialog height equalled zero.
- Bug-fix: Occasionally a valid menu script would raise an error when compiling.
- Bug-fix: StringTable entries with more than 50 special characters (\t,\n etc)
could not be viewed and raised an error.
14 January 2001 (Version 3.2.2):
- The Dialog Preview/Designer is now detached
from the main window.
- Whenever a control is selected in the
Dialog Designer, its definition in the script will also
be flagged with a red marker.
- Several minor bug fixes.
9 January 2001 (Version 3.2.1):
- Programs which are modified will now have their
CheckSums updated too.
- Combobox controls in the preview/designer dialog now have
resizing handles which reflect the size of its dropdown window
(ie consistent with the dialog script).
- A control can now be deleted by using the DEL key once
it has been selected in a preview dialog.
- Bug fix: Resource HackerTM crashed when Alt+C was pressed
when the Preview Dialog had focus.
1 January 2001 (Version 3.1):
- Bug fix: STRINGTABLE with StringID = 0 will now compile
- Bug fix: ACCELERATOR recompile bug fixed.
- Bug fix: Old style bitmaps will now be displayed
- Bug fix: Alt+C will now compile when Preview Dialog has focus
- Bug fix: Text ending with doubleslashes will now compile
- Bug fix: DIALOG scripts containing MENU or CLASS statements
would occasionally raise an error on compiling.
- A maximised state will be retained between sessions
- FONT statement in DIALOGEX scripts now fully supports
FontWeight, Italic and FontCharset parameters.
- Several other minor bug fixes/cosmetic improvements.
12 December 2000 (Version 3.0):
- Most-Recently-Used file list added to File menu.
- Bug fix: Unusual characters in filenames would
not be correctly read by the commandline script
- Visual redesign tool for dialogs improved.
- Warned dialog added whenever leaving a resource
which has been modified but not recompiled.
- Edit menu added.
- Images can now be copied to the clipboard.
- User defined resources containing just plain text
will now be displayed as text, not as binary data.
2 November 2000 (Version 2.6):
- Resource items can now be added from files
of any binary type, no longer needing to compile
them into *.res files first. This includes, but is not
restricted to image files (*.ico, *.cur, *.bmp).
- Commandline Scripting added. All the functionality
of Resource HackerTM (apart from viewing resources)
can now be accessed from the commandline
without having to open Resource HackerTM.
- Added Any File (*.*) option to Open File Dialog
File types (no longer limited to exe, dll, ocx and
cpl files). However, the file must still be a
Win32 PE format file.
- Save As Dialog now warns users attempting to
save resources to non-existant directories.
- Bug fix: MSVC++ debug table offsets were not
being updated when resources were modified.
- VersionInfo resources can now be modified etc.
- Numerous other minor improvements.
10 September 2000 (Version 2.5):
- Text search added. Searches for both ANSI and UNICODE text.
- "File Save" menu option added. Before saving, Resource HackerTM automatically creates a backup copy of the original file if a backup does not already exist. (eg: Before MyProgram.exe is modified, a backup copy called MyProgram_original.exe will be created.)
- Bug Fix: VersionInfo resources would occasionally not decompile correctly.
18 August 2000 (Version 18.104.22.168):
- Resources can now be deleted. (nb: VersionInfo resources cannot be deleted in order to protect copyright notices.)
- Bug Fix: Modified applications occasionally displayed the generic executable icon, not the application's icon.
- Fixes to a couple of other minor bugs.
3 July 2000 (Version 22.214.171.124):
- Bug Fix: Internal compiler would not compile some Chinese text.
- Improved translation support. Scripts are now compiled using the codepage appropriate to the internal editor’s selected font rather than the operating system’s default codepage. (Thanks to Frank Cheng for feedback while fixing both these DBCS issues.)
- Bug fix: Occasionally StringTable resources would not be decompiled.
- Bug fix: Accelerators would not compile if they included the ASCII keyword.
- The command line will now accept a filename as a parameter.
- The Samples.dll file is no longer included in the download.
26 May 2000 (Version 126.96.36.199):
- Bug Fix: Bug introduced with changes in the previous update
which caused an error in "Update all Resources" preventing any
- Bug Fix: Occasional bug when extracting resources to a RES
- A couple of very minor improvements to the compiler have also
20 Apr 2000 (Version 188.8.131.52):
- Multibyte character set support (Japanese, Chinese etc) for
the internal editor has been added (with thanks to Bob Ishida for
feedback during debugging).
- Bug fix: Cursors with multiple images were not being correctly
imported when replacing cursors.
- Numerous other improvements and cosmetic changes.
- A number of documentation errors in the help file have also
16 Apr 2000 (Version 184.108.40.206):
- The JPG and MIDI data formats are now detected and displayed
- Bug Fix: WAVE, AVI and GIF formats were not being detected in
the RCDATA section.
- Bug Fix: The folder where resource data was last saved was not
being stored between sessions.
13 Feb 2000 (Version 220.127.116.11):
- The AVI and WAVE data formats are now detected and displayed
- The GIF data format is now detected and displayed (with thanks
to Anders Melander for TGifImage).
- A number of sample resources have been removed from the
Resource HackerTM executable and placed in "Samples.dll". (This dll
can be deleted without affecting Resource HackerTM.)
Samples.dll is no longer included in the
download (27 Jul 00).
11 Feb 2000 (Version 18.104.22.168):
- The editor's font can now be changed. This enables changes to
the editor's font script (character code) which is useful when
- Menu editor [Show/Hide] button added.
- Coloured treeview cursor removed :-(.
- Dialog controls now have coordinates displayed when selected
too. (see version 22.214.171.124).
9 Feb 2000 (Version 126.96.36.199):
- Bug Fix: Major modifications to dll's still occasionally
failed. Now finally fixed.
- The treeview window width can now be adjusted.
- Resource Hacker'sTM window size and position is now stored
between sessions (in an *ini file ) as are the folders for the
last opened and saved files.
- While moving or resizing dialog controls - the control
coordinates (in dialog units) are now displayed in the panel
located above the dialog script.
1 Feb 2000 (Version 188.8.131.52):
- Resources can now be added.
- LANGUAGE statements in resource scripts are no longer
- Resources can now be updated with all matching resources in an
external resource file (*.res) in a single operation.
- Bug Fix: Replacing cursors & icons from resource files
(*.res) was broken.
17 Jan 2000 (Version 184.108.40.206):
- Bug Fix: Modifying dll's occasionally stopped them working
(the relative virtual addresses of sections following the resource
section were not being adjusted).
- MESSAGETABLE and ACCELERATOR resources can now also be edited
and recompiled using the internal editor.
- Dialogs will be displayed even when they contain unregistered
controls (a gray rectangle will appear in the position of each
- Dialog editor now compiles controls defined by using either of
the following styles:
* CONTROL text, control-ID, control-class,
control-style, x, y, width,
* CLASS_MAIN_STYLE text, control-ID,
x, y, width, height, control-style
- Modified files now preserve the original file date and time.
- Resources (menus, dialogs, stringtables, accelerators &
messagetables) can now be saved in a single operation to a single
- Numerous other minor improvements.
2 Jan 2000 (Version 220.127.116.11):
- Bug Fix: Memory leak fixed.
- Bug Fix: Numeric captions in dialog resources were not
- Resources can now be saved to file as a binary.
- Improved handling of special characters (tab, newline,
backslash & doublequote) in resource scripts.
- Dialog resource forms and controls can now be visually moved
12 Dec 1999 (version 18.104.22.168):
- DIALOG, DIALOGEX, MENU, MENUEX, STRINGTABLE and BORLAND FORM
resources can now be edited and recompiled using the internal
- Bug Fix - large resources which were displayed as hexidecimal
took forever to load. The display algorithm for these resources is
now much faster.
- Bug Fix - Tab and Newline characters are now converted to \t
and \n respectively in dialog script control captions.
- Bitmap Exchange Dialog added - enables viewing of bitmaps
- Individual icons are no longer scaled but are displayed at
their actual size.
- Files can now be opened by dragging them into Resource HackerTM.
03 Dec 1999 (version 0.5.0.1):
- Bug Fix - Exchanging cursors from *.cur files was broken.
- Bug Fix - Menu resource scripts did not always decompile
- Icon & Cursor Exchange Dialogs now display selected
- Icons & cursor resources are now hidden in the 'Exchange
Other Resources' dialog.
- MENUEX and DIALOGEX resource scripts are now properly
- Resource scripts now decompile control style attributes too.
- Borland Delphi form files now decompiled.
- Accelerators now decompiled.
- Help file added.